Examples of DCI Work in this Area
DCI has performed selection and validation research in high stakes scenarios, including in OFCCP audits where a selection procedure has produced adverse impact and the agency has alleged discrimination under a disparate impact theory. DCI’s Ph.D. level consultants have conducted original validation research that (1) supported selection procedure use, (2) met the requirements of the Uniform Guidelines on Employee Selection Procedures, and (3) was accepted by OFCCP. In other instances DCI has provided objective expert evaluations of vendor research, and summarized and supplemented that additional research in ways that again was accepted by OFCCP. DCI has also been contracted as an expert in remedial proceedings. For example, DCI has been involved in the development of new selection systems after organizations have already agreed to a settlement with an EEO enforcement agency that required the development of new systems.
Some specific examples of DCI’s work in this domain include the following:
- OFCCP conducted a nationwide focused review across 700 federal contractor locations and alleged that a basic skills test was discriminatory. DCI summarized, supplemented, and evaluated ten years of client validation research, and wrote a report summarizing why this research met UGESP requirements and was job related. The nationwide focused review was eventually dropped.
- OFCCP identified a physical ability test that produced adverse impact against females and had not been validated. DCI conducted content-oriented and criterion related validity research strategies that were accepted by OFCCP as meeting UGESP requirements. The audit was closed.
- OFCCP identified a worker attitude and work simulation assessment that had adverse impact against an ethnic minority group. DCI summarized, supplemented, and evaluated ten years of client validation research, and wrote a report summarized why this research met UGESP requirements and was job related. The audit closed.
- As part of an EEO settlement, DCI was brought in to conduct job analysis research and develop a new employee selection system that was job related for a set of entry level laborer jobs. This new system was accepted by the EEO agency.
- DCI recently conducted a proactive job analysis and selection procedure audit for consultant positions in a client organization. This job analysis was then proactively used to refine selection procedures used as part of the hiring process.
Michael Aamodt, Principal Consultant at DCI Consulting Group, wrote an article featured in SIOP’s TIP publication, January 2017.
DCI has just learned that OFCCP began to send out audit scheduling letters on March 17th. At this time we are not certain how many were sent out, but we do know that 800 CSALs (Corporate Scheduling Announcement Letters) were sent to contractor establishments last month. It is critical that corporate compliance representatives notify individual establishments in their organization to be on the look-out for any official OFCCP correspondence. If you did receive a scheduling notice, please notify DCI immediately so that we can assist you with the audit process.
To read the audit distribution notice, please click here.
By Rosemary Cox, Senior Consultant at DCI Consulting GroupRead More